Pupput is an ancient city lying
about three kilometers to the north-west of the
medina of Hammamet and that today is submerged
by the tourist zone built over the major part
of the archaeological site.
It was probably a satellite town of its neighbour
Neapolis. Pupput was mentioned for the first time
in 168 when it was promoted to municipium governed
by an elected council. It seems to have gained
some importance during the II and IIIrd centuries
when it spread considerably and acquired a great
many public monuments.
During the Middle ages, the city was defended
by a Byzantine citadel. After the Arab conquest,
the city took the name of Qasr Zaid before being
taken and ravaged in 1303 by Catalan pirates.
This signalled the end of the city over whose
ruins the charcoal burners from neighbouring Hammamet
came to settle.
“Salvage excavations” carried out
by archaeologists after chance discoveries made
during terracing work revealed a part of a necropolis
and a large residential quarter including houses,
baths and waterworks. Funerary furnishings and
architectural decorative elements were excavated,
in particular mosaic pavements indicating a refined