This monument is the necropolis
of the reigning princes of the Husseinid dynasty
and their families. The dynasty ruled Tunisia
from 1705 to 1957.
The monument dates to the second half of the
XVIIIth century. This imposing building is shaped
like an irregular quadrangle with rectangular
windows opening on its outside wall. It is crowned
with cupolas, the main ones being covered with
round green tiles that look like scales.
A monumental door leads into the building giving
onto a vast hall whose decoration is clearly of
Italian influence. The tendency is confirmed inside
the monument where it harmonizes with the Ottoman
style present in the building’s main room
where the reigning princes are buried and which
is reminiscent of the layout of Saint Sophia in
Turkey. A stone paved patio scattered with graves
separates the hall from the main room and leads
to other rooms, some of which open into each other.
Here lie the sovereigns’ relatives and close
associates; the men recognizable by the headdress
carved of marble surmounting their epitaph, while
the women are indicated by simple plaques.
The ceilings, either vaulted or in the form of
cupolas, are adorned with stucco carved geometric
and vegetal decorations, sometimes polychrome.
The walls are generally clad with ceramic tiles.